I never like the last day of summer it's just all too sad for me. The only way to remedy this is to make it the best day ever. Growing up my mom took us to get an ice cream sundae to celebrate the last day. I loved the tradition. I have done the same with my kids and added a few things just to make it the best last day of summer EVER.
Mandy and I conspired to kidnap our kids at 6 am and take them to Krispy Kream. Lilly and Max were not too happy about the idea when they woke up. But they perked up when they saw their friends and that we were getting donuts. Then the sugar rush set in and all kids were smiles and giggles as and they ran around the store asking for their picture to be taken. So yes here are A LOT of pictures of our trip to the doughnut shop.
Max gets comfortable
Sugar has set in and they are being silly.
We are always the ones taking pictures so it was nice to have one of Mandy and I together. I love this girl!
Next we came back home for a little cleaning. Mostly making sure things were in order for school tomorrow. And I made cinnamon rolls per Max's request for his back to school breakfast. Then I announced that I had a second surprise and they would have to pack a lunch. Lilly made us all peanut butter and honey sandwiches. To add to the suspense of the last day of summer fun I blindfolded the kids so they didn't know where we were going. Destination 2 was the dollar movie and to eat a picnic in the court yard. We ate fast because it was too hot outside. The movie was blah, good thing it was just a dollar and Luke managed to take a nap during it like I hoped. Straight from the movie we went to destination 3, Mesa Frozen Yogurt and met up with friends.
Surprise number 4 swimming with friends.
After a swim the kids were pretty tuckered out. Again part of my plotting to get them good and tired. We headed home for dinner. After we ate and cleaned up the kids packed their own lunches. Then up stairs to get ready for bed.
Here they are ready for school tomorrow. Believe it or not I will mostly miss them and Luke will miss them terribly. Good bye summer of 2012 we will remember you fondly.









2 comments:
You are one cool Mom!
So, my dear, I am just as behind on following my friends' blogs as I am on posting on my blog, but I just got all caught up on your blog and wanted to tell you that your family is just darling and they are lucky to have you as supermom! Also, I wanted to tell you that my kids would also probably say that their favorite part of the summer was Netflix also:( I miss you! Wouldn't it be fun to one day hang out again?? Lots of love to you and your cute family!
Post a Comment