Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Crafty weekend

Sometimes I get these ideas and I never do anything with them. But this weekend I completed a few great crafty projects that I must share.
Here are my cute clip boards. I'm not sure how I am going to use them but, cute none the less.
Here is my genius project well to me it is pure genius.
It is already is March and that means that Lilly will be starting kindergarten in 5 months. Being a mom and a teacher, I just want her prepared. She hasn't shown much interest in writing. She loves to write her name and that is about it. I have tried really hard to write more notes to her and make our home more print enriched, to show her that writing is fun, but still she just loves to color.
If I know anything as teacher you want to give kids many choices to express writing, it can be paint, chalk, food, shaving cream, yogurt, crayons and markers, my favorite dry erase!!! Lilly has taken a to dry erase too.
At Ikea I found these picture frames for 2 bucks. Plexiglass is great for dry erase markers. So this is what I did. I glued the plexiglasses to the frame and then took the the cardboard backing from the frame turned it sideways. I then glued that to the outer part of the frame making a pocket.
This why this is so great. Lilly can slide papers in and out so she can trace anything.
Today she did her friends names. But you can do all sort of things, sight words, objects with pictures, you see where I'm going with this. Really I'm too pleased with myself. The best part is Lilly loved it, and that was what I was hoping for.
I picked up one more thing from IKEA (singing it like angles from heaven). The easel!! The kids took to it right away. I can't wait to use it in preschool!!!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

GREAT idea about the plexiglass frame!!! I'm going to do that this summer.

LOOOOOOOOVE my easel. It is seriously so perfect for preschool. Glad you got one!!

jamie said...

Lovey~ the plexiglass frame tracing board is a fantastic idea! Part of Cooper's learning disability makes the "fine tuning" writing very hard for him, so I think this idea will be great for him!

xoxoxo,

jamielynn

carriebutler said...

hey, coming out on the 19th in the am, can you get together then?

Danielle said...

Awesome idea with the frame. I might have to post this on tutusandturtles.

Anonymous said...

I also love the frame idea! I will have to try and make one. I think Taryn and Danica would both love it!