Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Thoughts on Subbing

On Friday I took a step back into the public school system as a substitute teacher.  I was a nervous and excited all at the same time. Mostly I was peaceful and confident. I'm not really sure how you can feel all those things but I diffidently did.  Nervous because off all the unknown, excited because it was something new and familiar at the same time. Peaceful because I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing right now, and confident because I have done this before, I got this, I know my strengths and weaknesses I know how to teach.
(shameless selfie)

First grade, 28 kids. This what scares me most about school and teaching 28 kids in first grade that is a whole lot of kids.  More then there should be in my option. I tend to forget that is what I send my kids into every day but I know that 28 kids in primary grades is not the best teaching model. 
The day went well.  But hey I'm the sub, I remember thinking lets see what we could get away with when I was in school. So there was a lot of "can I go to the bathroom" and some of  "Mrs. so and so let's us do that"  But I saw through their tricks. The class was not easy. There were a few that were notorious for disturbing the peace with their teacher there. So I didn't feel too bad when they did they same for me.
At the end of the day I was wiped out!!! Exhausted! I could chase my preschool class around for days and wouldn't be as tired. But that is the difference.  My preschool class is mine. I love them. We are a team.  When you go into someone else's classroom you are guest and you do your best.
Being a sub is what I expected. I would give directions, keep the peace, be caring, have a warm smile, make them laugh, help when needed, entertain for a bit  and wait for the bell to ring. All in all I'm chalking it up for a good experience and ready for some more.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go Laura!!!

Mandy said...

So excited for you! Definitely a good step in the right direction. You survived! Ready to do it again? :)

Lynn said...

Yay!! And elementary schools is way harder too. At least in the upper grades if you have one rough class, you get to try again in an hour. So happy for you!