At our house we are gearing up for Thanksgiving. Yet again I just love the holiday. I was having a discussion about Thanksgiving the other day with my sis in law and realized that I mostly love Thanksgiving not for the dinner but I most look forward to the leftovers. I love the turkey sandwiches on a homemade roll with cranberry sauce and lettuce. I love the fruit salad, and I the love the pumpkin pie that I allow myself to eat whatever time of the day I choose, or for a meal substitute. As much as I love the food, it is secondary. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is spending the day with family and friends and counting my many blessings.
This year I wanted our family to gain an attitude of gratitude. So I had the kids paint a thanksgiving tree. I cut out several fall color leaves. (even though I have not seen one leaf of color around my neighborhood). Every night at the dinner table each of us is given a leaf, and we are to write down what we are grateful for. Then the leaf is taped to our tree. By the time Thanksgiving is here we will have a beautiful colorful tree. The kids look forward to it every night. Miss Lilly is insisting on writing the words herself, which brings me so much joy that she loves to write.
So here is the beginning of our thanksgiving tree.

I have a great art tip from school today. I had this idea working in my head but then my friend Bethany (art teacher extraordinaire) helped me perfect it. It's marble painting. You will need a shallow box, (I asked for mine at the market) paper, paint, marbles and tape. Tape the paper to the inside of the box. I used painter tape it came off the paper really well. Just squeeze a few lines or blobs of paint onto the paper, add the marbles and have the kids roll it around the box. Little mess and easy clean up. The kids loved the project and were happy to do it for several minutes, most of them did not want to stop.


4 comments:
love both of these ideas.
We are doing the tree idea too and Sunshine loves to write her own leaves. Happy November!
love the tree idea!! can't wait to try it when alina is older. =)
Woo hoo! I'm glad you had fun with the marbles. I had my kids singing they had so much fun... The song goes a little something like this "rock the box, rock rock the box" I'll have to sing it for you some time ;) Another idea with taping the paper is to tape all the way around the edge so it leaves a beautiful white border on the edge of the paper, or looping the tape and putting it on the back so it leaves no white spots at all.
P.S. I am totally going to "borrow" your tree idea when Anabel is old enough to get in on the action
Post a Comment