Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A HAPPY New Year

Spending time in California was so fun. I loved spending time with family and especially Matt. I was getting a little anxious about getting back home. I felt like there was a ton on my plate and I wasn't able to focus on any of it while I was away. I was also feeling like a major loser because I didn't have any great New Year resolutions. Frankly I didn't even want to try, in my head I was saying what is the point, there is so much I want to do and I know I won't be able to.
Upon returning home I went our for a run and had conference all loaded up on my playlist. I was listening to Elder Lawrence "What Lack I Yet".  It was then that an answer came so clear that has really changed my out look on this year.
The jest of his talk is to ask the Lord for the one thing that I need to work on. I so needed to hear that. There are going to be a lot of changes this year for our family. Truthfully I'm scared instead of begin excited.  I plan to go back into the public classroom. Lilly is turning 12 and starting Jr High. Kevin is a working his way up in his job. Luke is learning how to read, and Max is just growing up so fast, I'm afraid I'm going to miss something and not get it all done.  So I prayed on that run and so clearly the first thing I was to do was to schedule my teaching test. So I did for February 6. After that I felt so much peace and this saying ran through my head HAVE FAITH, NOT FEAR.  Ever since then, that has been my mantra. I have let my lack of faith really stop my happiness and looking forward to all the good that is to come.
Since this little exercise I have really had the Lord guide my planing in even the simplest things and it has been wonderful. Once I seek to know that one thing, other things seem to just fall in place. The fear is gone and the happiness and hope shine in. I have made sure I wrote my mantra on our chalkboard and talked with my kids about it. Explaining that when we have faith we are hopeful and can do so much good.When we fear it is Satan that is trying to have us doubt what we are capable of accomplishing.
Indeed this has been the start of a very hopeful and happy new year.



2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hooray!! You'll do just fine :) I still have you to thank for my teaching this year :) I LOVED that talk, as well as Elder Anderson's talk from priesthood on Faith.

Mandy said...

Good luck on that test! You will rock it, and you will be awesome in the classroom, parents will love you. And Lilly will be amazing in Jr. High. The Modrells got this.