Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Last Day of Summer

This tradition started many moons ago. My grandmother would take my mom out for a sundae on the last day of summer to lament the end of summer or to celebrate the first day of school whatever that day called for. My mother did this for my brothers and I and so in turn I do it for my kids except I have made a whole day of it and we love it.  Tuesday morning we wake up the kids 6:30ish and kidnap them to breakfast. 

Destination 1
Dunkin Donuts.  It was a bit sad this year because the McHenrys weren't with us but we made due.  It will be fun to see what they will do for their last day in a new state.   We were so glad that Kevin was able to join us this year it made missing our friends okay. Happy donut face.

Destination 2
Swimming at 8 am. I secretly packed their swim things. It was fun, we had the pool to ourselves and played some games, races and jump in about 100 times.


Destination 3
The Science center.  It was not crowded and we enjoyed taking Kevin to our favorite things.  Max and I played the game below and he beat me. Which of course he love to rub in.

Always the water and balls at the end because they get SOAKING wet.  When it was time to leave they were barely wet.  I asked Lilly what was so different this time.  She said  "Maggie wasn't here to build our shower" I laughed and cried at the same moment.

Destination 4 
Bahama Bucks.  They love this place and I hardly ever take them.  Probably because if I am going to spend money on a treat, I would rather have ice cream.  They love it and here we are.


In the evening we ate pizza for dinner again their favorite.  We closed out the night with Kevin giving a father's blessing to each of the kids for this new school year.  It was a great summer!!! Now it is time to get back to work, grow up too fast, learn new things and discover new adventures. 

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love this tradition!

Mandy said...

I didn't know that this tradition went back so far. Awesome! PS, Lilly's hair is super cute! PPS, We missed you guys like crazy on the day of your back to school bash.